The South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO) in the North West has expressed shock at allegations that an 80-year-old man was arrested for the rape of a 7-year-old child. The civic organisation on Thursday said that the incident highlights the extend to which girl children are no longer safe to be left in the company of those who are supposed to protect them.

“We condemn in the strongest terms possible this heinous and dastardly act which points to the fact that Ubuntu and the moral fibre of our society has been eroded and the overall safety of our girl-children compromised even the sanctuary of their homes,” emphasised SANCO Provincial Chairperson, Paul Sebegoe reiterating the call for united action against the scourge of gender based violence.

Sebegoe said that the national outcry against the scourge which is destroying the lives of children and robbing them of their innocence seem to be falling on deaf ears as perpetrators are unrepented.

“Our courts are the last line of defence for our children because men who are mostly perpetrators are failing to protect them from those who are betraying them to gratify their insatiable sexual desires,” he stressed.

He urged the Brits court to deny the suspect bail when he makes his second appearance next week Tuesday.

According to police, the man who is reportedly a boyfriend to the girl’s grandmother was apprehended on Saturday at around 15:00 in the Geluk farming area on the outskirts of Brits.

“The man was reportedly arrested and charged with rape after he was found by the mother of the child under a tree in the bushes, with the child allegedly half naked,” said Captain Sam Tselanyane.

This followed a considerable delay after he had allegedly gone to a nearby shop accompanied by the victim earlier on the day, he said

The mother reportedly screamed for community members to come to her rescue after which police were alerted.