In announcing the nation-wide lockdown, the President indicated
that provision will be made for essential transport services to
continue, including transport for essential staff and for patients
who need to be managed elsewhere. The measures we are
announcing today are in line with this injunction, while ensuring
that the objective of the lockdown is achieved.
• All long-distance passenger rail services, both public and
private, will stop operations for the duration of the
lockdown. Services of Shosholoza Meyl, Premier Classe
and Blue Train operated by PRASA and Transnet
respectively, have already been suspended. The new
regulations mean that private rail operators such as Rovos
Rail will also cease operations.
• All commuter rail services will shut down for the duration of
the lockdown. This includes all Metrorail and Gautrain
Minibus-Taxis will be allowed to transport essential
services workers and those allowed to make the
necessary permitted movements. Transport movements
in this regard will be allowed to operate from 05h00 to
09h00 and again from 16h00 to 20h00.
• Operators should put measures in place to adhere to
social distancing in order to curb the spread of the virus.
• All minibus-taxis must be sanitized after every trip.
• All taxi ranks must be sanitized at regular intervals.
• Where appropriate, government will provide assistance.
METERED TAXIS AND E-HAILING
• Metered Taxis and e-Hailing vehicles will be allowed to
transport essential services workers and those allowed
to make the necessary permitted movements. Transport
movements in this regard will be allowed to operate from
05h00 to 09h00 and again from 16h00 to 20h00.
• Metered Taxis and e-Hailing vehicles must be sanitized
after each journey. The industry will take responsibility
for this. Where appropriate government will assist.
• The number of passengers each vehicle is allowed to
carry will be reduced. A vehicle licensed to carry up to 4
people will only be permitted to load 1 person. A vehicle
licensed to carry up to 8 passengers will only be
permitted to load a maximum of 3 passengers.